In 1864 Sealdah Market Building (at present Central Hall) was converted to Sealdah Municipal Hospital. On 1st Dec. 1873 the Sealdah Medical School was born out of the Sealdah Municipal Hospital. In 1884 it was named as Campbell Medical School and later on in July 1948 upgraded as Campbell Medical College. On 19th Aug. 1950 the College was renamed as Nilratan Sircar Medical College after the name of the great freedom fighter and alumni of this institution. Over the years this institute has produced some excellent doctors excelling in their respective fields both in India and abroad.